I am soooo happy to finally be writing this post. My coat is complete!
Fashion fabric: Wool herringbone from Fashion Fabrics Club, purchased ~1 year ago
Lining: Flannel backed satin (aka Kasha lining)
Interfacing: Fusible weft
I decided to follow Laura's example and skip the shoulder pads that were causing me such grief. It looks and feels fine without them.
Also some minor tweaking for fit and personal preference:
- Widened the back "belt" tab to 10 inches
- Added 1/2 inch height to the collar
- Added 1/2 inch length between the bust and waist
- Added 1 inch length to the sleeves
- Took out 2 inches length near hem
I used the lining for the front part of the pocket. The back of the pocket is cut on with the upper side front pattern piece.
The third row of buttons has an in-seam buttonhole. I considered removing the seam and making a bound buttonhole like the others, but as others mentioned, it is a really neat feature so I kept it.
I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. The flannel backed satin lining really does add warmth, it's a cozy coat. Also, I think I opened up a whole new world for myself - I am no longer going to avoid BWOF's coat patterns (the combination of my lack of experience with coats and their terse instructions scared me off). In fact, I already have my eyes on another BWOF coat...