I spent most of my Halloween Saturday sewing my costume for a party that evening! I decided on Cleopatra several weeks ago, but in typical style waited until the last minute to sew it up.
A Google image search for Cleopatra will show you that most RTW costumes have these common features: a sleeveless white gown, a wide collar, a belt with an embellished flap hanging down at CF, armbands, and a sheer cape.
I used BWOF 3-2005-114 as a starting point for the dress, tracing just the bodice without the sleeves. I added a waist seam and drew pieces for a long split front skirt.
For supplies, my first stop was the thrift store where I found what would be the main fabrics - a king sized bedsheet ($3) for the dress, and a super wide poly dupioni pinch-pleat drape in a peachy color ($4) for the accessories.
I hit up Joann for cheap gold trims and the sheer cape fabric, which turned out to the most expensive part of the outfit at $10. I used a zipper, velcro, and elastic from my stash.
The collar and the wristbands close with velcro.
I put elastic in the armbands to help keep them tight and in place on my upper arms.
The sheer cape, edges left raw, was stitched to the CB neck and the armbands.
There are all kinds of issues with this dress that you would only allow on a Halloween costume:
- the invisible zip is a contrasting hot pink as it's all I had on hand - but is of course covered by the collar and wig
- all seams are unfinished
- the curved skirt hem is super wavy
My friend who is a professional makeup artist did my face, which is always a major treat. I'm wearing the Didi lashes by Make Up For Ever.
Tim went as a race car driver and I had a hand in his costume too - I sewed all those patches on!