And now, back to the regularly scheduled programming: Sewing!
It's my May Burda mag project. I actually cut out the fabric in May but didn't get it finished until last week... (And did you notice that I skipped BWOF Project of the Month: April? I was occupied with my summer wardrobe then so I'm considering it a bye month).
Cotton twill by Robert Kaufman in a brownish-grey color. The instructions suggest batiste, which would be too sheer unless it's underlined, but any shirting will do. My fabric is a bit on the heavier side, but it works.
I made only 2 alterations: I took out 3/4" length between the bust and waist, and I shortened the hem 1". This design has a fair amount of ease in the bodice, and it's meant to be cinched with a belt.
My favorite feature of this dress is the buttons. The instructions call for "buttons with two 6mm (a cant 1/4 inch) long slits each. I asked about these at my local fabric store and was pleased to find out they had exactly what I needed. Well, the slits are 9mm, but close enough. The total button diameter is 11/16 inch (18 mm) and they're made by Dill. They actually come in larger sizes as well.
You cut a long skinny strip of fabric, sew it into a tube, and turn it right side out to form the button band. My fabric was too thick to fit through the button slits so I used a coordinating light-weight cotton. After you slide the all of the buttons on the button band, you machine-stitch along either side to hold them in place.
Last night I noticed that my husband's RTW jacket from G-Star has similar buttons; they're held in place with twill tape.
I didn't get good pictures, but other neat features of this dress are the grommets on the pocket flaps (non-functional) and tons of topstitching - on the collar, hem, and belt. I started the project with a brand new spool of thread, the smallest size Mettler makes (150m); I ran out of thread near the end of the project and had to run out for more.
This pattern is rated only 1.5 dots, and it certainly is easy: cut-on kimono sleeves, cut-on button bands, and no waist seam. The details make it a bit time consuming but it's worth it in the end! I just bought fabric to make another...