As I was considering fabrics to use that would complement my "global wanderings" summer wardrobe theme, I searched all over the internet for "ethnic" print fabrics. Eventually I thought, why not make something myself? All it would take is a natural fiber fabric, a stamp with an appealing design, and an ink pad. Of course, I did have a little voice in my head saying, "Christina. Come on. Are you really gonna go down the art-to-wear road now?" Indeed, I recognized this could have gone way, way wrong. And if it did, I probably wouldn't have even mentioned it here. But I think it actually turned out okay! Judge for yourself.
Main fashion fabric: Linen/cotton (50/50?) from Joann.
Shoulder/back yoke: Metallic-coated linen from Joann.
Jacquard Pearl Ex ink is permanent on fabric. You just have to set it in with a dry iron. I chose silver because it's supposed to have a metallic sheen.
I bought the paisley stamp from Terbear on Etsy. I purposely avoided stamps that looked hand-drawn which would certainly scream "homemade."
On paper the stamp looks nice and shiny, however on fabric it just looks grey, with no metallic sheen. Bummer. Still, the subtlety of the grey has grown on me.
Notes on construction/alterations
When am I going to learn to start measuring the flat pattern? Especially after my LA PR weekend roomie did my measurements last month, I have no excuse. The tunic turned out a tad bit shorter than I was wanting. I am toying with the idea of adding a "border" to the hem using the metallic-coated linen, just to give it a few more inches length. I'm worried it might disrupt the balance of the shirt though, I'm still deciding.
The only alteration I did was to remove some of the sleeve cap ease based on some other reviews I've read of this pattern.
Again, I finished seams as French seams and I covered the armhole and back yoke seam raw edges with bias fabric strips.The neckline closes with a single button and button loop. I found this lone gold button in my stash that was the perfect size.
The prescribed length of the drawstrings seems a bit short to me. I bought some natural colored twill tape with the intent of replacing them, but the color just doesn't look right. I'm going to keep my eye out for another appropriate replacement; I don't think I have enough fabric left to do more self-fabric bias drawstrings.
I'm looking forward to wearing this one.