First, a closer look at the fabric. I bought it at my local fabric shop during their annual sale; even at 30% off it was pricey, but I deserve it, right? It's Carolina Herrera, and after some sleuthing on Style.com, I discovered she used it in her Fall 2008 RTW line.
Runway pics from Style.com
It's a plaid wool, what makes it unique is that the right side is really worn and slubby, plus it has black organza stitched on in a diamond pattern.
Wrong side above, right side below
It's kind of hard to see in the photos; the darker diamonds are the areas where the black organza is.
The pattern I chose is Burda magazine 9-2009-127, a shawl collar double breasted jacket.
I used Sew Exciting pro-weft fusible in areas that needed stabilizing.
Burda tells you to fuse only the armholes on the back pieces, but I went ahead and fused more (in addition to all the hemlines). I also decided to thread trace and I'm soooo glad I did. I found that a couple of the pieces had stretched out a bit, probably when I was fusing them. I was mostly able to steam them back into shape.
On Saturday I sewed up the lining (Bemberg rayon), even before I started the jacket shell, just like Ann told us to. Ever since I read that tip, I've always sewn my lining first, and I'll never go back. Today was a furlough day for me so I got the jacket shell done. Now all that's left is to put those together and stitch some buttonholes...