So, back to the Burdastyle Elinor tunic, the one in which I worked on fitting my forward shoulder. My goal in using this pattern was to copy a plaid silk tunic that I saw at Urban Outfitters. It was on the sale rack and too small for me, but the style is fairly simple and I knew I could easily recreate it. These are no longer available on their website.
During my recent trip to Portland, I spotted this interesting plaid silk at Josephine's Dry Goods (on sale!) and thought it would be perfect to copy the UO tunic.
Pattern: BurdaStyle 8516- Elinor tunic
Fabric: Plaid silk. Initally I thought it was charmeuse, but now I don't think so since it doesn't have a matte and a shiny side like charmeuse usually does. I'm terrible at IDing fabrics so I'm really not sure what you'd call this weave...
Notes on construction/alterations:
Besides the forward shoulder alteration that I described in a previous post, I omitted the front neck slit and the empire waist elastic that the original pattern called for.
I shortened the sleeves a bit and finished them with a pleat and bias binding.
I made a lame attempt to match the plaids. Along the side seams, I matched the plaid stripes of the front bodice above the bust dart with the back, which of course means that everything below the bust dart (the majority of the side seams) won't match. Next time I will know to match the side seams below the bust dart. The back sleeve kind of matches the back bodice, but the front sleeve and the front bodice don't match up. I have a lot to learn about matching plaids...
I used Claire Shaeffer's instructions for making a bound placket at the center back neck (page 92 of High Fashion Sewing Secrets). Next time, I'll know to cut the slit a little longer than what the finished length should be, it turned out shorter than planned because the bottom of the slit closes up a bit after you miter the bias binding. Oh well, it's only for looks, I don't need to unbutton it to get it over my head anyway. Also, I used Roberta Carr's instructions for bias binding along the neckline (page 86 of Couture - The art of fine sewing).
Conclusion: I love tunics and I know I'll wear this one often. The modified BurdaStyle Elinor pattern will be my go-to pattern for tunics from now on.
Jalie 3674 - Isabelle
1 day ago