I used a gauzy textured linen that I bought at Textile-o-phile in Colorado Springs last year (when I met Adriana!). It is a bit sheer, you can see my dark jeans through the shirt in these photos, so I'll need to be mindful of that, maybe choose lighter pants. I finished the seams as French seams or with bias binding.
Instead of making my own drawstring with the fashion fabric, I used white twill tape.
The magazine photo shows a white blouse made with dark contrast stitching. I didn't intend to use contrast stitching on my blouse, until I found out very early in construction that I had run out of white thread! Instead of making a trip to the fabric store, I proceeded with grey thread. It's hardly noticeable in these (very grainy - sorry!) pictures.
Notes on construction/alterations
As I mentioned before, this pattern is unusual in that the front yoke and undercollar are cut as one piece. It's not noticeable to others when you are wearing the garment, but if you are up for a new challenge you will enjoy this. And really, "challenge" is a strong word relative to prior conundrums I've had with BWOF. In this case, if you just follow the instructions step by step, everything will go together nicely.
In short, the steps are:
- stitch front yokes to front bodices
- stitch CB seam of undercollar
- stitch shoulder seams (top of yoke to back bodice)
- stitch undercollar to back bodice at neck seam
At this point, the undercollar is completely attached to the shirt. Now you attach the upper collar, but it has a shape that's a bit different than normal.
Before attaching the upper collar, you'll want to finish the edges of those two rectangle shaped that jut out (the instructions don't tell you this). The upper collar is placed right sides together with the undercollar and stitched together along the long side and the two short sides. Once it's turned right side out, the remaining raw edges are turned under and the upper collar is hand stitched to the under collar at the neck seam and tacked to the yoke SAs.
No undercollar seam!
BWOF tells you to interface the upper collar, but it would also be wise to apply a small square of interfacing to matchpoint #2 on piece 2 (the front yoke/undercollar piece) as this corner is under some stress.
The gathers at the v-neck replace the bust darts you would normally find in this style of blouse. The depth of the v-neck can be controlled by how tight you pull the drawstrings (within limits).
Very comfortable blouse, I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I wouldn't hesitate to make it again.