On Saturday I am attending a memorial service. I looked through my closet for something black that would be appropriate to wear. All my black stuff is either too casual (knits, starting to pill), or best saved for the next girls' night out. So, of course my next thought was to sew something. I chose blouse 117 from the August 2007 issue of Burda World of Fashion. It will look nice with my black gabardine pencil skirt, and it's already got 2 great reviews on Pattern Review.
original (08-2007-117) sleeve pattern piece, and my new sleeve pattern (from 09-2005-109)
I did whip up a muslin of the bodice and I was really impressed with how it fit - it's definitely form-fitting, but it's very flattering. The two reviews on PR noted that the shoulders were wide, and indeed the sleeve pattern is not very curvy, as is usually seen in dropped shoulders. I hate it when my shoulder seams are even bordering on too wide, so I decided to use another armscye and sleeve pattern. That turned out to be easier said than done, and we have yet to see how it turns out. I just grabbed an old issue of BWOF and found a blouse pattern that had the measurements of a "normal" shoulder width, then morphed them together. Cross your fingers!
Above are the two bodice fronts, one has the pleats pinned and the other is pre-pleating.
Well, you know what I am doing Friday night!